Protect Cavity-Prone Teeth with Quick and Affordable Dental Sealants
Have you ever experienced that eagerness to share something beneficial with a friend? That’s how we feel about dental sealants. If you or your child has been struggling with cavities, it’s time to seal that beautiful smile with lasting protection. Dental sealants from Eagle Family Dental in Arlington, Washington, effectively protect cavity-prone teeth from decay-causing bacteria. When applied to the biting surfaces of your teeth, this preventive treatment eliminates the need for costly and time-consuming restorative treatments like dental fillings and crowns.
How do cavity sealants work?
Teeth, especially those in the back, have depressions and grooves that are difficult to clean. Because of inadequate oral hygiene, these teeth become breeding grounds for harmful bacteria that gradually erode the enamel, causing cavities and decay.
Dental sealants are thin, colorless plastic coatings applied to the chewing surfaces of the teeth to seal out decay-causing bacteria. The dental sealant covers the deep grooves, protecting the enamel from acids, plaque, and harmful bacteria.
The procedure for applying dental sealants
Placing dental sealants is quick and painless. The procedure neither requires anesthesia nor drilling. Furthermore, you don’t need a separate dental appointment to apply dental sealants. This quick procedure is usually done after a professional cleaning.
These are the simple steps involved in dental sealant treatment.
- Teeth cleaning: Before applying the sealant, we thoroughly clean the teeth to remove plaque or debris. We then dry the teeth and isolate them from saliva to ensure a proper bond with the sealant.
- Etching the teeth: We apply an acidic gel to the chewing surfaces of the teeth to create a rough texture on the enamel, which helps the sealant adhere securely to the teeth.
- Rinsing and drying: We rinse off the etching solution and dry the teeth again to ensure a completely dry surface for the sealant.
- Sealant application: We carefully paint the teeth sealant onto the chewing surfaces of the teeth. The sealant material is usually a thin, liquid resin that can penetrate the deep grooves and fissures of the teeth for optimal protection.
- Curing: Finally, we cure the sealant with a special light to harden and bond it to the tooth surface. This process usually takes a few seconds per tooth.
After sealant application, we will check your bite to ensure that the sealant doesn’t interfere with the natural bite alignment. We’ll make adjustments where necessary to ensure a proper fit and seal.
Benefits of dental sealants
Dental sealants are common in children, but they can benefit adults at risk of cavities. Whether applied in children or adults, dental sealants offer the benefits below.
- Quick and easy application
- Effective in cavity prevention
- Natural-looking results
- Painless treatment
- Affordable treatment
- Long-lasting protection
- Reduced need for restorative treatments
Are you or your loved ones troubled by cavities? Get ready to discover the wonders of dental sealants and embrace a future of fortified, indestructible smiles. To get started in Arlington, WA, please call (360) 322-1251 to schedule an appointment with our doctors, Drs. Bryce Duskin, Arezoo Holdaway, Gavin McNelis, and Ally Mueller.